Re: to save my Guix System installation

From: Maxim Cournoyer
Subject: Re: to save my Guix System installation
Date: Wed, 24 May 2023 20:35:50 -0400

Hi Felix,

Felix Lechner via <help-guix@gnu.org> writes:

> Hi Florian,
>
> On Tue, May 23, 2023 at 9:33 AM pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)
> <pelzflorian@pelzflorian.de> wrote:
>>
>> yes, making a backup is good.
>
> I don't think Gottfried is making a backup. I think he is leaving us.
>
> We failed a beginner who is absolutely dedicated to free software.

Let's try to provide value in our replies, or at least stay positive
:-).  It seems Gottfried is looking for a way to keep their Guix System
available along other GNU/Linux systems.

As Florian already mentioned, the challenge will be in configuring the
bootloader.  For moving Guix itself, you could copy its root file system
using 'cp -a', or opt to reinstall from your config.scm as already
mentioned up-thread.  Sadly, for the complex part (the bootloader
configuration), I'll leave it to someone more knowledgeable than myself
to provide concrete answers, but I believe you'll want to read on
something called multi-boot.  There's a GRUB example here [0].

Good luck!

[0]
https://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub/html_node/Multi_002dboot-manual-config.html

--