Re: to save my Guix System installation

From: pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)
Subject: Re: to save my Guix System installation
Date: Thu, 25 May 2023 11:39:23 +0200

Hi all,

Maxim Cournoyer <maxim.cournoyer@gmail.com> writes:
> For moving Guix itself, you could copy its root file system
> using 'cp -a', or opt to reinstall from your config.scm as already
> mentioned up-thread.

I strongly suggest the reinstall option.  Copying all with “cp -a”
works, but is a waste.

sudo mount /dev/sdx1 /mnt
sudo cp -a /etc/config.scm /mnt/
sudo cp -a /home /mnt/
sync

is a simple means of backup.  Reinstall can be done with

sudo mount /dev/sdx1 /mnt
sudo cp -a /mnt/etc/config.scm /etc/config.scm
sudo cp -a /mnt/home /

Then adjust the file-systems field in /etc/config.scm and reconfigure.

> Sadly, for the complex part (the bootloader
> configuration), I'll leave it to someone more knowledgeable than myself
> to provide concrete answers, but I believe you'll want to read on
> something called multi-boot.  There's a GRUB example here [0].

I believe configuring GRUB for dual boot is difficult.  It would be
simpler if the computer already offers boot selection e.g. when pressing
the DEL key at startup.  That would allow choosing between multiple EFI
installations.

I think GRUB multi-boot is a boot protocol that cannot easily be
configured in Guix.  Other distros use GRUB menu-entries with chainload
for dual booting.

Regards,
Florian