Re: Every Reconfigure of Guix Home Results in "Connection Refused"

From: Jaft
Subject: Re: Every Reconfigure of Guix Home Results in "Connection Refused"
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2023 21:17:14 +0000 (UTC)

 Hey, David.
I'm not sure that your issue is the same of mine. Mine seemed to be a socket
issue specifically related to Shepard (which, I suppose, makes sense as I was
trying to start services).
Mine went away when I restarted my computer; I could've sworn I did a guix pull
before trying to reconfigure my Guix Home but maybe I hadn't and that was
related; I'm not sure. Either way, it hasn't reoccurred since restarting (the
services don't seem to get updated on any second reconfigure and require me to
restart the computer to take effect but I think that's an unrelated situation
to the one I originally reported and probably more of an inquery question for
me to ask).
Sorry I can't be more helpful; I hope you're able to resolve it!
Granted, I am running GuixSD and not just Guix on a foreign distro (I'm not
sure which of those you are doing) so what we require may be different, to
solve the same issue. I can't say that I've ever had to start Shepard, myself,
and that'd probably be the first place I'd look, in trying to pin down what's
wrong. I'm pretty certain both your system config.scm and your Guix Home
configuration should take care of connecting any services you define to Shepard
when you reconfigure them without you having to manually run anything (beyond
the reconfigure command); that's a huge part of the benefit of Guix – just
being able to declaratively define the config. and everything else takes care
of getting it to work, rather than imperatively running commands yourself and,
possibly, running something in the wrong order (or whatever, etc.) which might
introduce unexpected behavior.    On Monday, May 29, 2023, 08:25:51 AM CDT,