Re: Unrecognized mount options to an ext4 filesystem.

From: Alexandros Prekates
Subject: Re: Unrecognized mount options to an ext4 filesystem.
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2023 07:54:01 +0000

On Wed, 7 Jun 2023 10:26:47 +0300
Efraim Flashner <efraim@flashner.co.il> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 06, 2023 at 08:40:09PM +0000, Alexandros Prekates wrote:
> > On Tue,  6 Jun 2023 16:38:07 +0000
> > Alexandros Prekates <aprekates@posteo.net> wrote:
> >
> > > On Tue,  6 Jun 2023 16:28:11 +0000
> > > Alexandros Prekates <aprekates@posteo.net> wrote:
> > >

> > > I found in the doc something that i had missed:
> > >
> > > Run man 8 mount for options for various file systems, but beware
> > > that what it lists as file-system-independent “mount options” are
> > > in fact flags, and belong in the flags field described above.
> > >
> > > So could i will try to make a flags list and see if i have any
> > > lack.
> > >
> > > Alexandros.
> > >

> > I tried  (flags '(read-only exec))  and  (flags '(read-only nofail))
> >
> > but /etc/config.scm:93:23: error: invalid file system mount flag:
> > nofail
> >
> > /etc/config.scm:93:23: error: invalid file system mount flag: exec
> >
> > So i dont understand how do we pass those FILESYSTEM-INDEPENDENT
> > MOUNT OPTIONS to guix system reconfigure ?
>
> For your nofail option you way want the mount-may-fail? option¹. If
> you want to check the source for what mount options are supported,
> its in (gnu system file-systems), and the list is
>
> (known-flags '(read-only
>                bind-mount no-suid no-dev no-exec
>                no-atime no-diratime strict-atime lazy-time
>                shared))
>
> ¹ https://guix.gnu.org/en/manual/devel/en/html_node/File-Systems.html

Efrail thanks for looking into the source.

I tried :
  (file-system
     (mount-point "/home/chomwitt/MyCalibreLibrary-SSD")
     (device (uuid "ae0661f6-0d22-3e0a-aa9c-fba7c17af6a4" 'ext4))
                        (type "ext4")
                        ;;(mount? #f)
                        (mount-may-fail? #t)
                        (flags '())
                        )

But if i disconect my external ssd then guix wont boot to my login tty.
While i wait in a blank screen if i connect my usb ssd back then the
boot proceeds ok.

As you see i previously tried (mount? #f) an alternative
fallback solution propoped to me in irc #guix by jpoiret.
The idea is to boot my system with my internal storage's filesystems
and after boot to mount external fs by a script for example.