Re: Read only_Edit Icecat.desktop

From: Maxim Cournoyer
Subject: Re: Read only_Edit Icecat.desktop
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2023 21:53:30 -0400

Hello!

segundomail--- via <help-guix@gnu.org> writes:

> Hello,
> I recently ran into a small problem that I would like some help if
> possible. I use Guix Package Manager on ubuntu and I have a small
> problem with the icon of the browsers, all the ones browser installed
> are redirected when opened to the icon of the icecat (palemoon,
> librewolf etc) in the dock (native in gnome and plank on kde). I
> checked and I believe the problem is in the icecat.desktop where the
> tag is StartupWMMClass=Navigator, and speculate that it should be
> StartupWMClass=icecat-default, I may be wrong, but before guix it
> didn't happen (I edited the others' StartupWMMClass to make
> sure). however I can't edit the icecat.desktop because it is read
> only, is there any way to edit the .desktop to check if this is what
> creates the problem or solution?
>  Thanks for your attention;

I noticed something strange with the Icecat icon used when used in a
desktop environment such as GNOME.  There are two icons at play, it
seems.

To test, you should be able to copy the icecat.desktop from the icecat
package to a ~/.local/share/applications directory, I think!  Perhaps
something like (untested):

mkdir -p ~/.local/share/applications
cp $(find $(guix build icecat) -name icecat.desktop) \
   ~/.local/share/applications
chmod +w ~/.local/share/applications/icecat.desktop

Then you should be able to make changes to the icecat.desktop file copy.
Don't forget to turn the "Exec" value to just 'icecat %u' to avoid
effectively pinning it to an old version.

Please let us know if you find the solution!

--
Thanks,
Maxim