Re: OBS Studio memory leak

From: Guillaume Le Vaillant
Subject: Re: OBS Studio memory leak
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2023 07:31:48 +0000

Robby Zambito <contact@robbyzambito.me> skribis:

> Ott Joon <ott.joon@tutanota.com> writes:
>
>> Hey there
>>
>> I have the exact same issue and I think this has to do with
>> gstreamer. Some other programs are also affected by this bug. What
>> seems to happen is the gst-plugin-scanner starts searching for plugins
>> and just doesn't finish and leaks memory a ton. My 128GB of RAM will
>> be full in seconds if I launch anything that uses gstreamer. Even
>> virt-manager if you have gst-plugin-* packages installed as then the
>> gst-plugin-scanner is awakened. I had to remove them or unset
>> GST_PLUGIN_SYSTEM_PATH. Unfortunately OBS seems to have this feature
>> built in, so it's not something you can remove. This is all I know at
>> the moment.
>>
>> Ott
>
> Hi Ott,
>
> Thanks for the lead. I tried pinning gstreamer and gst-plugins-base to
> older versions available in Guix, and removing gst-plugins-base from
> being an input to OBS (though I'm not positive this removes it from all
> recursive inputs), but I'm still having the issue :(
>
> Here is what I have so far:
>
> (let ((parent (specification->package "obs")))
>   (package
>    (inherit parent)
>    (inputs (modify-inputs (package-inputs parent)
>                           (replace "gstreamer"
>                                    ((options->transformation '((with-version
> . "gstreamer=1.20.3")))
>                                     (specification->package "gstreamer")))
>                           (replace "gst-plugins-base"
>                                    ((options->transformation '((with-version
> . "gst-plugins-base=1.20.3")))
>                                     (specification->package
> "gst-plugins-base")))))))
>
> Also tried with (remove "gst-plugins-base") instead of the replace.
>
> Robby

Hi,

I don't know if its related, but I have a big memory leak issue with
vlc. When trying to play a video with it, if the video output module it
set to gl or vdpau_display, it consumes all the RAM of the machine in
a few seconds (and I have to kill it fast to prevent the machine from
hanging). However if I force the video output module to xcb_xv, it works
fine.

Do you have the same issue with vlc? If yes, it may indicate a bug
with video acceleration (VA-API/VDPAU or mesa).

PS: My machine's GPU is an AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT.