Re: Can Guix channels be non-GPL?

From: david larsson
Subject: Re: Can Guix channels be non-GPL?
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2023 21:51:10 +0200

On 2023-06-12 14:13, Parnikkapore wrote:
Hi Guix!

I realized a while ago that, since pretty much all Guix channels have
to import some module from Guix (e.g. (guix packages)), it's basically
impossible for a Guix channel to have any license other than GPLv3 or
GPLv3+.

Is this correct? If this is true, I'll have to relicense my channel
accordingly. (it's currently under LGPL since that's my preference)

The GPL faq has many good answers, a couple relevant ones might be:

https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#LinkingWithGPL

https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLInProprietarySystem

Best regards,
David