Re: Guix on Macintosh?

From: pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)
Subject: Re: Guix on Macintosh?
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2023 12:23:41 +0200

Hello Yasuaki,

on a friend’s ARM Macbook, Guix runs fine after installing a QEMU VM
(for which we used a user interface named UTM) with the iso file from
Ubuntu desktop for ARM generic, and then running the usual Guix install
script for installation on a foreign desktop.

(Although QEMU did get stuck once and the Mac needed a reboot.)

However, it is also possible to install Guix System in QEMU, see the
discussion on “Building arm64 guix system image” at
<https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2023-02/threads.html>.
This should be particularly useful when you want to test complete images
for uploading to a web hoster root server.

Generally I suppose the easy way to run Guix on nonfree non-Linux
systems is a VM.  No need to emulate x86_64.

Regards,
Florian