Re: Failed to autoload read-substitute-urls in (guix scripts discover)

From: Philip McGrath
Subject: Re: Failed to autoload read-substitute-urls in (guix scripts discover)
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2023 21:23:04 -0400

Hi,

On Fri, Jun 9, 2023, at 2:43 PM, Vagrant Cascadian wrote:
> On 2023-06-07, Philip McGrath wrote:
>> On a Debian Bookworm system, most Guix commands are failing for me with
>> errors like the following unless I supply --no-substitutes:
>> ```
>> philip@avalon:~$ guix build hello
>> substitute: ;;; Failed to autoload read-substitute-urls in (guix scripts
>> discover):
>> substitute: In unknown file:
>> substitute:            1 (primitive-load-path "guix/scripts/substitute"
>> #<proced…>)
>> substitute: In guix/scripts/substitute.scm:
>> substitute:    753:33  0 (_)
>> substitute:
>> substitute: guix/scripts/substitute.scm:753:33: error: read-substitute-urls:
>> unbound variable
>> guix build: error: `/usr/bin/guix substitute' died unexpectedly
>> philip@avalon:~$ command -v guix
>> /home/philip/.config/guix/current/bin/guix
>> ```
>
> I don't seem to have this problem on Debian bookworm with guix
> 1.4.0-3. I also uploaded 1.4.0-4 with possibly related fixes, but that
> is stuck in sid/unstable for now...
>
> Not sure if it matters, but I am not using guix home...
>

>> It's possible that this could be somehow related to
>> <https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2023-05/msg00235.html>,
>> but I've applied the same workaround I use on a Kubuntu 22.10 system
>> that doesn't have this problem.
>
> Does it work at all *without* the workaround (presumably logging out and
> back in again, etc.)?
>
> Do older guix pull generations work?

I forgot earlier that I had used `sudo systemctl edit guix-daemon.service` to
add `--discover` to the command line for `/usr/bin/guix-daemon` on the broken
machine, but not on the working machine. Removing that option got things
working again!

I think there is actually a Debian bug, though, because it looks like the
Debian package really doesn't have code for the module `(guix scripts
discover)`, and running with `--discover` ought to be supported. Vagrant, I
haven't come up with a minimum reproducible example yet, but I can open a
report now if you like, or feel free to do it yourself.

-Philip