Re: Need help creating a new user account in Guix Distro

From: Felix Lechner
Subject: Re: Need help creating a new user account in Guix Distro
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2023 10:11:27 -0700

Salaam Dr. El-Nahal,

On Sun, Jun 25, 2023 at 1:44 AM Dr Ibrahim El-Nahhal
<elnahhal.i@gmail.com> wrote:

>  have used the "useradd" command to create the account, and
> it was successful. However, I am unable to login to this account.

Like you, I also found that part super confusing. As a declarative
operating system, Guix creates the lines in /etc/passwd at boot time
unless they exist already.

Personally, I succeeded with a config.scm that specified an explicit
password. [1] I changed the password immediately upon login and then
removed it from the config.scm. Those are my user declarations now,
[2] and that's how I use them. [3]

Perhaps that information is helpful to you. Thanks for using GNU Guix!

Kind regards
Felix

[1] https://issues.guix.gnu.org/42541
[2] https://codeberg.org/lechner/system-config/src/branch/history/users.scm