Re: Inherit from a package

From: Bruno Victal
Subject: Re: Inherit from a package
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2023 03:13:12 +0100

Hi Reza,

On 2023-06-27 12:22, Reza Housseini wrote:
> Hello Guixers
>
> I have a package with modified phases and use of the version identifier
> (#$version) in various steps of the build process. Unfortunately when I
> inherit from this package and change the source and version, the version used
> in the new package is the same as from the inherited package. Is this
> intended behavior or do I have to copy somehow the modified phases over to
> the inherited package?

Indeed, this is a limitation of using (inherit) in packages.
You don't necessarily need to duplicate the phases you want to change,
personally I employed a procedure that returns a package object instead
and inherit from it, as can be seen at <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/63081#8>.

Perhaps you can draw some inspiration from that patch-series?

--
Furthermore, I consider that nonfree software must be eradicated.

Cheers,
Bruno.