Minimal Guix Containers

From: Peter Polidoro
Subject: Minimal Guix Containers
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2023 15:36:12 -0400

On Wed, 23 Aug 2023 17:12, Simon Tournier <zimon.toutoune@gmail.com> wrote:

Yes, the images generated by Guix cannot considered as minimal. :-)

Usually I am grateful that Guix packages are "maximal".

It would be wonderful, though, if some magical "--minimal" command existed when creating a Guix container to make it the smallest possible size, leaving out documentation and all extras that are not strictly necessary.

I assume that is impossible to calculate and a minimal version of each package would have to be manually specified using only minimal versions of all dependencies so this will never exist.

Guix is already such a huge improvement over Dockerfiles, but such an option would make it really phenomenal.

Just wishful thinking.