Newbie: How to download mirror: links with wget?

From: Rodrigo Morales
Subject: Newbie: How to download mirror: links with wget?
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2023 06:33:41 +0000

I suspect there's a bug with the =tracker= package, so I want to
investigate. To proceed, I decided to download the source of the
package (relevant part of the package =tracker= is shown below).

#+BEGIN_SRC elisp
(define-public tracker
  (package
    (name "tracker")
    (version "3.4.2")
    (source (origin
              (method url-fetch)
              (uri (string-append "mirror://gnome/sources/tracker/"
                                  (version-major+minor version) "/"
                                  "tracker-" version ".tar.xz"))
              (sha256
               (base32
#+END_SRC

As you can see above, the url of =source= starts with =mirror=. I
thought that I could download such URL with =wget=. However, it seems
that =wget= cannot do that.

#+HEADER: :prologue "exec 2>&1"
#+HEADER: :epilogue ":"
#+begin_src sh
wget "mirror://gnome/sources/tracker/3.4.2/tracker-3.4.2.tar.xz"
echo $?
#+end_src

#+RESULTS:
#+begin_example
mirror://gnome/sources/tracker/3.4.2/tracker-3.4.2.tar.xz: Unsupported scheme.
1
#+end_example

My question is: How can I download the source of that package using
the same URL that is shown in the package definition (I want to make
sure that I'm downloading the same file that is used by the Guix
package definition).