Re: How to create and maintain a personal Guix fork?

From: wolf
Subject: Re: How to create and maintain a personal Guix fork?
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2023 15:06:56 +0200

On 2023-09-05 09:18:45 -0700, Felix Lechner wrote:
> Hi Wolf,
>
> On Sun, Sep 3, 2023 at 11:31 AM wolf <wolf@wolfsden.cz> wrote:
> >
> >   I would like to start my own fork of the upstream Guix
>
> That's great news! I think it's the only way to contribute important
> changes to Guix. You may find some helpful information at the end of
>
>     https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2023-08/msg00121.html
>
> I pull unauthenticated right now but should probably add my key to
> 'lechner-experimental' on Codeberg. Thanks!

In the end more steps were required than I expected.  And the signing sadly
required patching git-authenticate.scm in the fork.  I put together a script
that automates this process, maybe it will be useful to others as well:

    https://git.sr.ht/~graywolf/guix/tree/master/item/etc/fork-guix

> Kind regards
> Felix
>
> P.S. Perhaps you meant to force a reply to the list alone. I copied you,
> anyway.

Have a nice day,
W.

--
There are only two hard things in Computer Science:
cache invalidation, naming things and off-by-one errors.