Re: git-fetch recursive error

From: Simon Tournier
Subject: Re: git-fetch recursive error
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2023 20:05:43 +0200

Hi,

Thanks for the report.

On Mon, 02 Oct 2023 at 14:17, Lucy Coleclough <coleclough.lucy@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am writing to obtain help with an issue that has been occuring for about
> 4 days
> Upon building a custom package definition which uses the git-fetch source
> obtenance method and has the `recursive?` flag set to `#true` the fetch
> fails seemingly due to the build environment being unable to find certain
> program-s.

Sorry for the annoyance.

It is tracked by bug#66305:

    bug#66305: Error with recursive git checkout
    Guillaume Le Vaillant <glv@posteo.net>
    Mon, 02 Oct 2023 11:17:16 +0000
    id:87msx1qmvs.fsf@kitej
    https://issues.guix.gnu.org/66305
    https://issues.guix.gnu.org/msgid/87msx1qmvs.fsf@kitej
    https://yhetil.org/guix/87msx1qmvs.fsf@kitej

The root of the issue is:

        bug#65924: git searches coreutils and util-linux commands in PATH
        Maxim Cournoyer <maxim.cournoyer@gmail.com>
        Wed, 13 Sep 2023 14:00:09 -0400
        id:87fs3iuf6e.fsf@gmail.com
        https://issues.guix.gnu.org//65924
        https://issues.guix.gnu.org/msgid/87fs3iuf6e.fsf@gmail.com
        https://yhetil.org/guix/87fs3iuf6e.fsf@gmail.com

which hits the series ba21eeb565..811b249397:

    f651a35969 build: Add dependency on Git.

A patch is floating around and will be merged soon. :-)

Hope that helps,
simon