Re: Question regarding qmk firmware

From: Ekaitz Zarraga
Subject: Re: Question regarding qmk firmware
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2023 17:43:54 +0000

ElenQ Technology

------- Original Message -------
On Tuesday, October 10th, 2023 at 14:20, Peter Polidoro <peter@polidoro.io>
wrote:

> On Sunday, October 8th, 2023 at 10:28, Ekaitz Zarraga
> ekaitz@elenq.tech wrote:
>
> > There are other ways to do it, but I find this the easiest.
> > You can even make a package for your firmware and let guix
> > compile it for you (and maybe flash it too?).
>
> > Cheers,
> > Ekaitz
>

> I am also interested in using Guix packages for firmware projects.
>
> Do you have any links to example firmware projects that package,
> compile, and flash firmware to embedded boards?
>
> This would be a great blog post if you are up for writing it. I
> really enjoyed Mitchell Schmeisser's blog post about building
> toolchains with Guix. It would be nice to see examples of firmware
> that do not use the Zephyr real-time operating system as well, if
> anyone is doing that.
>
> I am tempted to use PlatformIO with Guix as an intermediate
> solution until I figure out how to do everything in Guix. I would
> like to have a pure Guix solution for Arduino-based projects and
> Raspberry Pi RP2040 as well.
>
> Thanks!

Hi Peter,

I suggest you to take a look to:
  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2023-10/msg00014.html
Because I'm the ^1 in that email and you can see the problems I've
had with ARM (it was a problem with RP4020).

The current toolchain is not able to find the stdlib.h and this is a
huge inconvenience. I didn't manage to solve it but the email I'm
linking there is really promising (I didn't have the time to test,
but the author told me he was able to solve my problem using his
toolchain).

We should fix this in Guix, but right now it just doesn't work.

Cheers,
Ekaitz