guix pull performance

From: Emmanuel Beffara
Subject: guix pull performance
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2023 13:03:12 +0200

Hello Guix,

I am having performance issues with Guix operations since a few weeks.
Concretely, any call to `guix pull` takes approximately 10 minutes to finish,
on a reasonably powerful machine (Core i7, 12 cores, 16G RAM, 1 TB SSD drive
with plenty of available space), and this even if rerun `guix pull` when
nothing has changed. I did not note the precise time or context where things
changed, unfortunately, but not long ago this was way under a minute for a
pull to finish, with the same channels.

In the same context, it takes 3 minutes for a `guix home reconfigure` with a
small home profile and 5 minutes for a `guix system reconfigure` with a rather
big profile, when there is nothing to update.

Is this kind of performance normal ? And if not, how can I diagnose the
problem to understand what takes that much time ?

--
Emmanuel