Re: How to bump a package version locally?

From: Simon Tournier
Subject: Re: How to bump a package version locally?
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2023 15:15:24 +0200

Hi,

On Wed, 18 Oct 2023 at 18:24, Hiep Pham <hiepph9@proton.me> wrote:

> I want to bump `jsonnet` version from 0.17.0 to 0.20.0 from the master
> branch of the `guix` repository. I edited the version in
> `gnu/packages/cpp.scm`:
>
> (define-public jsonnet
>    (package
>      (name "jsonnet")
>      (version "0.20.0")
>      [snip]
>    ))
>
> *How do I test building/installing this change locally?*
> Here what I tried so far:
>
> 1. Standing at the root of the `guix` repository, build with:
>
> guix build -L . jsonnet
>
> This failed:

What is the content of the folder ’.’?

I guess the command above “guix build -L .” is run from the Guix
checkout, right?  If yes, the failure is expected.  Here, you are

> 2. Followed the contributing guide [1], I created a shell instead:
>
> guix shell -C -D guix git help2man strace
> ./bootstrap
> ./configure --localstatedir=/var
>
> This generated `pre-inst-env`, but `make` step failed with:
>
> ```
>    MAKEINFO doc/guix.de.info
> contributing.de.texi:1659: @menu reference to nonexistent node
> `Configuring Git'
> contributing.de.texi:1660: @menu reference to nonexistent node `Sending
> a Patch Series'
> make[2]: *** [Makefile:5003: doc/guix.de.info] Error 1
> ```

Before running “guix shell”, what is your revision of Guix?  What is the
output of “guix describe”?

Well, I recommend to run first “guix pull”.  Then, if the error still
happens, maybe try “make distclean” before running “./bootstrap”,
“./configure” and “make”.

Hope that helps,
simon