Re: Turning off tests leads to a different store item

From: Felix Lechner
Subject: Re: Turning off tests leads to a different store item
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2023 09:07:40 -0800

Hi Maxim,

On Wed, Nov 08 2023, Maxim Cournoyer wrote:

> A source tree doesn't produce a derivation.  A derivation is the
> complete build recipe that captures the source and the package
> definition, that when built by the daemon produces a store item.

Okay, thanks! Now I'm going to get it right:

The store item that is produced should not change whether build-time
tests run or not.

It does not make sense (and wastes resources) to rebuild a consuming
package because build-time tests were enabled or disabled in an input.

The historical version of openssl gave rise to this thread. It did not
build anymore because the tests no longer worked with the certificates
shipped in that release (a common problem in TLS libraries). Rebuilding
openssl without running the tests rendered the rebuild useless because
it produced a different store item. That should not happen.

Does that make more sense?

Kind regards
Felix