Re: Abstractio of Dovecot Users

From: Marek Paśnikowski
Subject: Re: Abstractio of Dovecot Users
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2023 17:28:12 +0000

Email z Środa, 22 listopada 2023 od Felix Lechner:
> Hi Marek,
>
> On Mon, Nov 20 2023, Marek Paśnikowski wrote:
>
> > I recently completed the monumental project of self-hosting my email
> > on Guix, all by myself.
>
> Kudos! Will you please blog about your experience or add something to
> the Cookbook? [1]

I was actually thinking of trying to write a general Scheme module for a quick,
minimal setup of email on Guix, but right now my system configuration is an
ugly monolith.

My roadmap looks like this:
1. Abstract email away from the system.
2. Build a personal PGP infrastructure.
3. Use the above to serve Git repositories.
4. Use the above to modularize my Guix configurations; prepare to use Linux
From Scratch books to build my personal distribution of Guix
5. Learn how to use Emacs tools to automate  publishing of web content <= This
is where I could try writing some text about serving email from Guix.

Would you like a copy of my current system configuration for reference?

> > I need to abstract email accounts from system accounts
>
> There are many ways to do that [2] although more detailed inquiries
> might be better placed with the Dovecot folks.

I started writing a refusing answer, but did one more search for virtual_users
and found that Dovecot docs do include a “Simple Virtual User Installation.” I
will try following that. It is not as self-containing solution as I hoped, but
I need to get things done before optimizing them.