Re: Guix Home Issues: Redshift Service Won't Run (Problem with Wayland?)

From: Tomas Volf
Subject: Re: Guix Home Issues: Redshift Service Won't Run (Problem with Wayland?)
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2023 12:45:28 +0100

On 2023-11-28 03:02:58 -0600, Jaft wrote:
> I dunno if anyone would be able to help but I've had this issue where
> the Redshift home service just won't run.
>
> My config. is below but, as it's (relatively) long, I'll put it last.
>
> Looking at ~herd status redshift~, it says that it's stopped and
> disabled but, I also noticed, says it requires =x11-display=. I'm
> guessing this may be a reason the service keeps getting disabled and
> refuses to run?
>
> But Redshift works with Wayland (I'm using the =redshift-wayland=
> package); is there something I'm supposed to do to get the service to
> play nice with Wayland? I'm running XWayland.

I do not use redshift nor wayland, so this is based just on a quick look at the
service definition.  If you check the gnu/home/services/desktop.scm file,
definition of redshift-shepherd-service, you will see that the dependency on
x11-display is non-conditional.

As a test, you could just remove the requirement from the shepherd service and
see if that helps.  If it does work, the dependency should probably be made
optional.  I do not know if there is something like wayland-display service.

> [...]
> > (local-file "./bash/rc.sh"  "bashrc")
> >
> > (local-file "./bash/ps1.sh" "bashrc")))))
> >                     (simple-service 'home-dir
> >                                     home-files-service-type
> >                                     (append `((".gtkrc-2.0" ,(local-file
> > "./gtk/gtkrc-2.0")))
> >                                             (map (lambda (file)
> >                                                    (list (string-append
> > "Templates/" file)
> >                                                          (local-file
> > (string-append configDir
> >
> >         "/Templates/"
> >
> >         file))))
> >                                                  (scandir (string-append
> > configDir "/Templates")
> >
> > exclude-rel-paths))
> >                                             (let ([backgrounds
> > (string-append (with-store store
> >
> >     (package-output store
> >
> >                     pantheon-wallpapers))
> >
> >   "/share/backgrounds")])
> >                                               (map (lambda (file)
> >                                                      (list (string-append
> > ".local/share/wallpapers/" file)
> >                                                            (local-file
> > (string-append backgrounds "/" file))))
> >                                                    (scandir backgrounds
> >                                                             (lambda (file)
> >                                                               (not (or
> > (string=         file ".")
> >
> > (string=         file "..")
> >
> > (string-contains file " ")))))))))
> >                     (simple-service 'home-config
> >
> > home-xdg-configuration-files-service-type
> >                                     `(("dunst/dunstrc"
> > ,(local-file "./dunst/dunstrc"))
> >
> >                                       ("Thunar/accels.scm"
> > ,(local-file "./Thunar/accels.scm"))
> >                                       ("Thunar/uca.xml"
> > ,(local-file "./Thunar/uca.xml"))
> >
> >                                       ("gtk-3.0/settings.ini"
> > ,(local-file "./gtk/settings.ini"))
> >                                       ("gtk-3.0/bookmarks"
> > ,(local-file "./gtk/bookmarks"))
> >
> >                                       ("user-dirs.dirs"
> > ,(local-file "./xdg/user-dirs.dirs"))
> >
> >                                       ("kitty/kitty.conf"
> > ,(local-file "./kitty/kitty.conf"))
> >
> >                                       ("labwc/autostart"
> > ,(local-file "./labwc/autostart"))
> >                                       ("labwc/environment"
> > ,(local-file "./labwc/environment"))
> >                                       ("labwc/menu.xml"
> > ,(local-file "./labwc/menu.xml"))
> >                                       ("labwc/rc.xml"
> > ,(local-file "./labwc/rc.xml"))
> >                                       ("labwc/themerc-override"
> > ,(local-file "./labwc/themerc-override"))
> >
> >                                       ("mpv/input.conf"
> > ,(local-file "./mpv/input.conf"))
> >                                       ("mpv/mpv.conf"
> > ,(local-file "./mpv/mpv.conf"))
> >
> >                                       ("waybar/config"
> > ,(local-file "./waybar/config"))
> >                                       ("waybar/style.css"
> > ,(local-file "./waybar/style.css"))
> >
> >                                       ("wayfire.ini"
> > ,(local-file "./wayfire/wayfire.ini"))))
> >                     (service        home-batsignal-service-type
> >                                     (home-batsignal-configuration
> >                                       (full-level            100)
> >                                       (warning-level          30)
> >                                       (critical-level         15)
> >                                       (danger-level            5)
> >                                       (danger-command        "loginctl
> > hibernate")
> >                                       (notifications-expire? #f)))
> >                     (service        home-redshift-service-type

Tomas

--
There are only two hard things in Computer Science:
cache invalidation, naming things and off-by-one errors.