Re: Cannot start Tor Browser

From: Georgios Athanasiou
Subject: Re: Cannot start Tor Browser
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2023 22:18:08 +0200

Hi Caleb,

On 11/30/23 00:10, Caleb Herbert wrote:
Hi Guix,

I cannot start Tor Browser from following the instructions on the FHS
article.

https://guix.gnu.org/en/blog/2023/the-filesystem-hierarchy-standard-comes-to-guix-containers/

$ ls
Browser/  start-tor-browser.desktop
$ guix shell --container \
--network --emulate-fhs \
--preserve='^DISPLAY$' --preserve='^XAUTHORITY$' --expose=$XAUTHORITY \
alsa-lib bash coreutils dbus-glib file gcc:lib \
grep gtk+ libcxx pciutils sed   \
-- ./start-tor-browser.desktop -v
guix shell: package 'gcc' has been superseded by 'gcc-toolchain'
guix shell: error: package `gcc-toolchain@11.3.0' lacks output `lib'
$

Hopefully you'll be able to get it running using Julian's advice. If everything else fails, there's always Flatpak on Guix OS. Tor Browser Launcher is on Flathub.

(Please do note that this is *not* an endorsement. I haven't done much research on this launcher's trustworthiness, since I don't feel my use cases are that sensitive privacy-wise (I don't enjoy corporations tracking me across the Web is all). Do your research before trusting it with sensitive information.)

Best Regards,

G.