Re: SSH error guix pull

From: Wojtek Kosior
Subject: Re: SSH error guix pull
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2023 14:12:24 +0100

Hi

> However, on a full Guix system I keep getting this error:
>
> ```
> guix pull: error: Git error: error authenticating: no auth sock
> variable
> ```
>
> and, for the life of me, I just can't get it to work.

Maybe you're not running ssh user agent daemon under your user?  You
need it for this to work.

You can probably spawn it in a number of ways.  One of them would be
through Guix home.  See this[1] Guix manual node for info about
ssh-agent's home service :)

Also, you're not running `guix pull` with sudo, are you?  It wouldn't
work this way because sudo erases environment variables, including
"SSH_AUTH_SOCK".

Btw, on my fully Guixified laptop I am using Guix home without
ssh-agent configured and yet I do have ssh-agent running under my user.
I'm not sure what started it…

> (disclaimer: I'm a total scheme/guile neophyte -- and am learning
> as I go)

As all of us, haha :D

Btw, there's perhaps another solution — pull from local git checkout.
You can pass a filesystem path instead of a url when running `guix
pull`. This might later cause some issues if you try to `sudo guix
system reconfigure` but that's another topic…

Good luck and happy hacking!
Wojtek

[1] https://guix.gnu.org/manual/devel/en/html_node/Secure-Shell.html

-- (sig_start)
website: https://koszko.org/koszko.html
fingerprint: E972 7060 E3C5 637C 8A4F  4B42 4BC5 221C 5A79 FD1A
follow me on Fediverse: https://friendica.me/profile/koszko/profile

♥ R29kIGlzIHRoZXJlIGFuZCBsb3ZlcyBtZQ== | ÷ c2luIHNlcGFyYXRlZCBtZSBmcm9tIEhpbQ==
✝ YnV0IEplc3VzIGRpZWQgdG8gc2F2ZSBtZQ== | ? U2hhbGwgSSBiZWNvbWUgSGlzIGZyaWVuZD8=
-- (sig_end)