Re: SSH error guix pull

From: Mauritz Stenek
Subject: Re: SSH error guix pull
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2023 12:37:58 -0600

On 2023-12-01 at 07:12, Wojtek Kosior <koszko@koszko.org> wrote:

[[PGP Signed Part:Undecided]]
Hi

However, on a full Guix system I keep getting this error:

```
guix pull: error: Git error: error authenticating: no auth sock variable
```

and, for the life of me, I just can't get it to work.

Maybe you're not running ssh user agent daemon under your user? You
need it for this to work.

You can probably spawn it in a number of ways. One of them would be
through Guix home.  See this[1] Guix manual node for info about
ssh-agent's home service :)

Also, you're not running `guix pull` with sudo, are you? It wouldn't work this way because sudo erases environment variables, including
"SSH_AUTH_SOCK".

Btw, on my fully Guixified laptop I am using Guix home without
ssh-agent configured and yet I do have ssh-agent running under my user.
I'm not sure what started it…

Seems like that is the situation. I actually tried to run the ssh-agent user service example in the shepherd manual (https://www.gnu.org/software/shepherd/manual/html_node/Managing-User-Services.html) -- verbatim -- and I get this error:

```
Starting service root...
Service root started.
Service root running with value #t.
Service root has been started.
Uncaught exception while loading configuration file '/home/mst/.config/shepherd/init.scm': (goops-error #f "No applicable method for ~S in call ~S" (#<<generic> service-actions (1)> (service-actions shepherd)) ())
```

which I don't know how to fix.

Other than that example, I'm at a loss with ssh.

(disclaimer: I'm a total scheme/guile neophyte -- and am learning as I go)

As all of us, haha :D

:D

Btw, there's perhaps another solution — pull from local git checkout. You can pass a filesystem path instead of a url when running `guix pull`. This might later cause some issues if you try to `sudo guix
system reconfigure` but that's another topic…

I was able to install a package like this but it's not ideal.

Good luck and happy hacking!

Thanks! I can tell you, it is a journey.

Wojtek

[1] https://guix.gnu.org/manual/devel/en/html_node/Secure-Shell.html

-- (sig_start)
website: https://koszko.org/koszko.html
fingerprint: E972 7060 E3C5 637C 8A4F  4B42 4BC5 221C 5A79 FD1A
follow me on Fediverse: https://friendica.me/profile/koszko/profile

♥ R29kIGlzIHRoZXJlIGFuZCBsb3ZlcyBtZQ== | ÷ c2luIHNlcGFyYXRlZCBtZSBmcm9tIEhpbQ== ✝ YnV0IEplc3VzIGRpZWQgdG8gc2F2ZSBtZQ== | ? U2hhbGwgSSBiZWNvbWUgSGlzIGZyaWVuZD8=
-- (sig_end)

I'm trying out Guix and created a personal (private) channel with some custom packages. I access my git repo with ssh.

Using Guix on a foreign distro, pulling from my git repo works fine after applying this strategy: https://issues.guix.gnu.org/31285.

However, on a full Guix system I keep getting this error:

```
guix pull: error: Git error: error authenticating: no auth sock variable
```

and, for the life of me, I just can't get it to work.

(disclaimer: I'm a total scheme/guile neophyte -- and am learning as I go)

Please help.

[[End of PGP Signed Part]]

--
Mauritz Stenek <mstenek@disroot.org>