Re: SSH error guix pull

From: Wojtek Kosior
Subject: Re: SSH error guix pull
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2023 21:57:15 +0100

> > Nevertheless, I guess a
> > hypothetical solution would be to allow Guix to — when desired —
> > call
> > SSH with access to its TTY/PTY :)
>
> Would you mind showing me how?

Oh, that'd be hard…  I meant modification to some internal code that
spawns an SSH process.  So that when certain CLI option is passed, Guix
does this without substituting stdin/stdout/stderr file descriptors.

Actually, I'm not even 100% sure the substitution is controlled
directly by Guix — it might be in libgit which IIRC is used for cloning
here.

Anyway, this improvement would require digging deep into either Guix or
libgit. That's why I called it hypothetical — because it is too much
work to consider here :)

Anyway, if you're inclined to work around the problem, you might want
to experiment with the SSH_ASKPASS and SSH_ASKPASS_REQUIRE environment
variables.  So that you're asked to enter the password in a GUI.
See `man ssh` for more info about these vars

Happy Hacking!
Wojtek

-- (sig_start)
website: https://koszko.org/koszko.html
fingerprint: E972 7060 E3C5 637C 8A4F  4B42 4BC5 221C 5A79 FD1A
follow me on Fediverse: https://friendica.me/profile/koszko/profile

♥ R29kIGlzIHRoZXJlIGFuZCBsb3ZlcyBtZQ== | ÷ c2luIHNlcGFyYXRlZCBtZSBmcm9tIEhpbQ==
✝ YnV0IEplc3VzIGRpZWQgdG8gc2F2ZSBtZQ== | ? U2hhbGwgSSBiZWNvbWUgSGlzIGZyaWVuZD8=
-- (sig_end)