Re: guix package -u . --dry-run equivalent for guix home

From: Tomas Volf
Subject: Re: guix package -u . --dry-run equivalent for guix home
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2023 01:20:32 +0100

On 2023-12-09 18:55:22 +0100, Remco van 't Veer wrote:

> 2023/12/07, Tomas Volf:
>
> > [[PGP Signed Part:Undecided]]
> > On 2023-12-07 09:42:47 +0100, Remco van 't Veer wrote:
> >> How are people (with update junky tendencies like me) using guix-home?
> >> Run guix-home-reconfigure after every guix-pull?
> >
> > I in general just check the commit messages in the range that was pulled to
> > see
> > if there is anything interesting.  And reconfigure only in that case.
>
> Yeah, I have guix master from savannah in a RSS reader but miss a lot
> because it only returns the latest 10 commits.  Do your have a local
> clone to get the logs from

Right so the thing is I do not run stock Guix, but a fork with some (very) light
modifications.  So I need to merge updates from the Guix proper periodically.
And those merge commits are configured to provide in the commit message the very
information I need:

https://git.sr.ht/~graywolf/guix/commit/96ffe69d09c7abd4a80b632eb53c064e97e62141

> or is their some trick to get the logs from the commits guix-pull just
> fetched?

When `guix pull'-ing, it gives you a message like this:

    Authenticating channel 'guix', commits 028e445 to 32c6a3a (9 new commits)...

So I would just use `git log --oneline 028e445..32c6a3a' in the Guix repository
(which I do have local clone anyway) to get the same list I have in the commit
message right now.

Hope this helps,
Tomas

--
There are only two hard things in Computer Science:
cache invalidation, naming things and off-by-one errors.