Re: Why bash-minimal is part of sbcl package

From: Felix Lechner
Subject: Re: Why bash-minimal is part of sbcl package
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2023 08:51:55 -0800

Hi Maxim,

On Tue, Dec 12 2023, Maxim Cournoyer wrote:

> it means bash-minimal should be explicitly added to the inputs,
> otherwise when cross-building the package for another architecture the
> native bash captured wouldn't be executable on the target.

The core-updates branch has a lot of new 'bash-minimal' additions,
presumably for cross-building. Maybe this is a good opportunity to ask
about something I have been working on.

As part of a broader effort to make development in scripting language
like GNU Guile easier, I rewrote the executable wrapper so that it uses
Guile instead of Bash.  My initial hope was that the Guile wrapper could
use /run/current-system/profile/bin/guile (and thereby avoid an explicit
Bash prerequisite) but it is only available on Guix System.

My Guile wrapper will eventually reach you as part of a proposal to
migrate Guix from the Automake build system to my very own Bespoke,
which is likewise written in Guile. Meanwhile, please let me know if
there is any use for a Guile wrapper (instead of Bash). Thanks!

Kind regards
Felix