Some methods of getting a "login shell" do not create /run/user/<uid> or

From: Ben Weinstein-Raun
Subject: Some methods of getting a "login shell" do not create /run/user/<uid> or add a session to loginctl
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2023 12:45:14 +0000

I've noticed that several methods of opening a "login shell" do not
result in the XDG_RUNTIME_DIR (/run/user/<uid>) being created; and also
don't result in a session appearing in the output of `loginctl`:

* `mosh`
* `sudo -i <user> loginctl`
* `su -l <user>`
* `login`

I mentioned in another message that I'm hoping to write a system
shepherd service that will start a user-level shepherd service. But a
user-level shepherd services won't run without the XDG_RUNTIME_DIR (or
some other explicitly-chosen suitable directory, but I'd prefer not to
deviate from the defaults, if I could instead understand what's going on).

Does anyone know why this would happen, or how to fix it? I'm using the
elogind service on top of %base-services.