Re: documentation on copyright headers?

From: Simon Tournier
Subject: Re: documentation on copyright headers?
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2024 18:29:28 +0100

Hi,

On Sun, 03 Dec 2023 at 14:09, Maxim Cournoyer <maxim.cournoyer@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think it should be avoided as well, the long list of copyrights are
> already a bit messy to maintain across trees :-).

In addition to the current mess, we also keep Copyright header even if
the code holding such Copyright had been removed since.  Legally
speaking, I think – although I am not totally sure – the copyright
applies to the current source code and not to the history of additions.

> info '(maintain) Legally Significant' offers as advice that changes of
> 15 lines or less or not legally significant for copyright.

For the interested reader, it comes from the package ’gnu-standards’,
also online:

https://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain/html_node/Legally-Significant.html#Legally-Significant

Cheers,
simon