Re: Laptop won’t boot after Guix install

From: Ian Eure
Subject: Re: Laptop won’t boot after Guix install
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2024 13:12:15 -0800

Julien Lepiller <julien@lepiller.eu> writes:

Hi Ian,

Something similar happened to me before. After reconfiguring a lot of times, the firmaware had no space left for EFI variables. I didn't
notice the error message at first because guix system did
succeed. Maybe you have some similar errors that don't lead to a
failure? What does the last phase say, when installing the bootloader?

Thank you for the suggestion. I’ve run into this problem before as well, on different hardware. I didn’t see any message to this effect during the install, or during subsequent `guix system reconfigure' invocations, which do seem to update the bootloader. Does `guix system init' do more than that?

I did look around the EFI variables, but there are a bajillion of them and I have no idea what any of them mean, or which may be safe to remove. I figured resetting all my BIOS settings would clear those out.