Re: "Command not found" when using `home-mcron-service`

From: Oleg Pykhalov
Subject: Re: "Command not found" when using `home-mcron-service`
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2024 20:13:13 +0300

Tanguy LE CARROUR <tanguy@bioneland.org> writes:

> Quoting Oleg Pykhalov (2024-01-15 16:25:27)
>> The Home service matches Guix System in this case, so currently
>> specification of a full path to a binary is required.
>>
>> It's possible to do in several ways:
>>
>> 1) Use full path to the binary with ungexp, e.g.
>>
>> preferred and cleaner:
>>
>>     #$(file-append notmuch "/bin/notmuch")
>>
>> or:
>>     (string-append #$notmuch "/bin/notmuch")
>>
>> Hint: make sure notmuch is defined, e.g. at the top of a file:
>>
>>     (use-modules (gnu packages mail))
>
> I tried this one! 😁
> The `string-append` version I mean.
>
> `mcron` can then find `notmuch`, but `notmuch` has some hooks that depend
> on other commands; `mbsync` and `afew` in my case. For this, I cannot really
> provide the full path? 🤔 … actually, I could, but then it would be
> `/home/USER/.guix-home/profile/bin/mbsync`, not the actual path.

Is the hook a script?  If it is, then the script should have the PATH,
which can be added to the script itself.

> This should work, but I can help be find it a bit weird, because it
> propagates to quite a number of files. 😞
> And the same goes for `vdirsyncer` that relies on `pass`…

Is ‘vdirsyncer’ relies on the ‘pass’ by default, or is your
configuration specific thing?

‘vdirsyncer’ package recipe should be modified in the first case, to
make it work for everyone.

In case of specific configuration a wrapper can be used.

Oleg.