Re: Best practice when dealing with a broken package for guix home?

From: Fredrik Salomonsson
Subject: Re: Best practice when dealing with a broken package for guix home?
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2024 17:50:33 +0000

Hi,

Felix Lechner <felix.lechner@lease-up.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> On Sun, Jan 14 2024, Fredrik Salomonsson wrote:
>
>> My question what is the best practice for this?
>
> Guix Home is somewhat new. Not everyone uses it. There is some work to
> be done somewhere, as you already know.
>
> Any functional package manager will require you to specify a prior
> derivation in some form, with a closure over the prerequisites. I don't
> think Guix has such functionality, but folks with more experience should
> please speak up.
>
> A more practical way to mitigate your issuesn would be to improve the
> code quality in the development HEAD. For example, we could accept
> commits only when they do not break anything. Technically, a solution
> might be around the corner, but there is considerable disagreement in
> the project whether such a strict standard should be applied. It would
> most likely lead to countless rebuilds and unacceptable delays.

Yeah, I can see benefits going stricter but also keep it as is.

> Personally, I went for a simple solution with immediate benefits: I keep
> a branch that builds everything I need and advance it only every two
> months or so. I called it 'prebuilt.' You can find it as here:
>
>     https://codeberg.org/lechner/guix/src/branch/prebuilt
>
> I know that's not what you wanted to hear, but it's all I can offer at
> this time.

That is fine, thank you for your input.  Interesting idea to keep a
branch of what you need.  Do you apply patches etc if you encounter a
broken package when you advance your branch?  Or how do you deal with
cases when they happen?

--
s/Fred[re]+i[ck]+/Fredrik/g