Re: Best practice when dealing with a broken package for guix home?

From: Simon Tournier
Subject: Re: Best practice when dealing with a broken package for guix home?
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2024 12:28:48 +0100

Hi,

On mar., 16 janv. 2024 at 18:41, Felix Lechner via <help-guix@gnu.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 16 2024, Fredrik Salomonsson wrote:
>
>>  Or how do you deal with cases when they happen?
>
> I maintain a custom Guix with patches on top, plus my own channel.

Well, for what it is worth, I think the good practise is to send
contributions when something broken on master is fixed and not keep the
fix in your own patched Guix version.

That said, I do not use “guix home” so my way probably does not make
sense.  What I do is that I have separated manifest files.  For
instance, I have emacs.scm for my Emacs stuff, ocaml.scm for my OCaml
stuff, compiler.scm for some compilers that I use, base.scm for all the
basic stuff as coreutils etc.

When one package is broken, it impacts only one manifest.  So it
mitigates the issue for upgrading.

What I am not fully happy is that “guix weather” does not have a
codified exit status.  It had been discussed [1] but no consensus.  It
would ease:

  guix weather -m path/to/manifests/foo.scm \
    && guix upgrade -p path/to/profiles/foo

Cheers,
simon

1: guix weather exit status?