Re: Include home environment in image

From: Richard
Subject: Re: Include home environment in image
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2024 08:51:10 -0500

Lars Rustand <rustand.lars@gmail.com> writes:

> Kristoffer Ström <kristoffer@rymdkoloni.se> writes:
>
> The service definition even seems to be fully self-contained and not
> dependent on any other RDE code, so it should be possible to simply copy
> the service definition into your own config without needing to add RDE
> at all (although I have not tried this myself).
>
> Maybe this could even be upstreamed into Guix proper? I think this would
> be a very valuable addition.

+1 for upstreaming if possible. Being able to associate home
environments with a system declaration would be very helpful. I remember
someone asking about guix deploy and home environments, so it seems to
be a popular feature request.

There are edge cases where the two need to be kept in sync. (e.g.
StumpWM. The package needs to be added at a system level so login
managers see it, but configuration needs to be in the user's home.
Upgrade the system package with a new SCBL version without upgrading
your home and StumpWM will complain about compiled files being for the
wrong version.)