Re: Include home environment in image

From: Lars Rustand
Subject: Re: Include home environment in image
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2024 14:59:35 +0100

Richard <richard@freakingpenguin.com> writes:

> +1 for upstreaming if possible. Being able to associate home
> environments with a system declaration would be very helpful. I remember
> someone asking about guix deploy and home environments, so it seems to
> be a popular feature request.

This reminds me of an idea I've had for some time. It would be nice to
have a separate deploy command to be able to remotely deploy only a home
config. So instead of running `guix deploy system.scm` you could do
`guix deploy-home home.scm`.

> There are edge cases where the two need to be kept in sync. (e.g.
> StumpWM. The package needs to be added at a system level so login
> managers see it, but configuration needs to be in the user's home.
> Upgrade the system package with a new SCBL version without upgrading
> your home and StumpWM will complain about compiled files being for the
> wrong version.)

Nice to see a fellow StumpWM user! I have some questions regarding how
to manage loading of asdf dependencies from a read-only filesystem, but I
might start a new thread for this.