Re: How to disable gnome-display manager?

From: Ian Eure
Subject: Re: How to disable gnome-display manager?
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2024 17:46:02 -0800

Hi Rodrigo,

(answering in reverse order because I think that makes more sense)

Rodrigo Morales <me@rodrigomorales.site> writes:

I have two questions:

2. I wouldn't need to answer the first question if I could make GNOME Display Manager to use Sway (currently, it only uses EXWM and I don't
   see a button to change the window manager from EXWM to Sway)

According to the Guix manual’s entry for gdm-service-type:

GDM looks for “session types” described by the ‘.desktop’ files in ‘/run/current-system/profile/share/xsessions’ (for X11 sessions)
    and ‘/run/current-system/profile/share/wayland-sessions’ (for
Wayland sessions) and allows users to choose a session from the log-in screen. Packages such as ‘gnome’, ‘xfce’, ‘i3’ and ‘sway’ provide ‘.desktop’ files; adding them to the system-wide set of packages automatically makes them available at the log-in screen.

I think the solution to your problem may be as simple as adding `sway' to your operating-system’s `packages' list, then selecting the Sway session type in GDM, by clicking the gear icon in the lower-right after entering your username.

1. How to avoid the automatic visit to tty7 and the execution of GNOME
   Display manager?

Your system config looks correct to me, so I’m not sure what’s wrong. Did you run `sudo guix system reconfigure' after editing your system config?

On the VT swtiching behavior, I believe that’s how Xorg is set up, and it’ll continue to do that no matter what display manager you choose. I may be wrong.

 — Ian