Re: Guix deploy fails claiming some module missing

From: Fredrik Simón
Subject: Re: Guix deploy fails claiming some module missing
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2024 20:04:49 +0100

> missing modules for #<file-system-label "Guix_image">: uio_pdrv_genirq

Hi Gabriel,

I just ran into this as well while 'guix deploy'-ing to a Raspberry Pi. Maybe
you have resolved it already but the message comes from safety-checks? in
machine-ssh-configuration, which verifies that modules for configured
filesystems are loaded by initrd.

We can resolve this by either adding (initrd-modules '("uio_pdrv_genirq")) or
disabling safety checks.

Going with the former initially led me to another error in Guix's linux module
builder, where it expects kernel modules to either be gzipped or uncompressed.
But some kernel configurations default to e.g. xz compression which will fail
to build. Adding CONFIG_MODULE_COMPRESS_GZIP=y to the kernel config helps here.