How do I use wrap-ruby-program to make curl findable in a Ruby package?

From: Marek Paśnikowski
Subject: How do I use wrap-ruby-program to make curl findable in a Ruby package?
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2024 10:39:08 +0100

Dear All

I am having one problem with correctly packaging ruby-nano-bots[^1].  The Ruby
gem wants to load libcurl at runtime and is not able to find it without
setting the LD_LIBRARY_PATH to ~/.guix-profile/lib .  This is the final
problem to solve, because after I performed ~guix install curl~ and exported
the above path adjustment, I am now able to use the application.

Armed with this tool, I started interviewing the Mistral AI on ways to perform
the path adjustment inside a package definition.  Unfortunately, it started
hallucating, but not without making me discover a ~wrap-ruby-program~ function
in guix/build/ruby-build-system.scm (line 188).

I understand that I actually want to include a path other than $GUIX_PROFILE ,
but have absolutely no idea if there exists a standard path with package
inputs, or how it would interact with =wrap-ruby-program= .  This is why I
will focus my question on usage of the $GUIX_PROFILE and then proceed to think
about the ultimately correct path.

Can I use the function in the body of the package definition, or does the
package definition go inside the wrapper? Could you provide an example how to
set the following? ~LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:$GUIX_PROFILE/lib~ .  The
function code is honestly completely unreadable to me at the moment.

Sincerely,

Marek Paśnikowski

[^1]: [[https://github.com/icebaker/ruby-nano-bots]]