Re: Python package with some rust dependency

From: Carlo Zancanaro
Subject: Re: Python package with some rust dependency
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2024 10:29:45 +1100

Hi Alexis,

I don't really know much about building rust. Given this one repository
has both, I wonder if it would make sense to build them separately (as
two packages), and have one as an input of the other.

Presumably this would mean the python package taking the rust package as
an input, but the details might be more involved.

On Sun, Feb 11 2024, Alexis Simon wrote:
> Going the cargo-build-system way, it errors probably because there's
> no rust crate at the root of the project.

One option here might be to add a phase after the unpack phase, to chdir
into the directory with the rust crate. You can see examples in lots of
places in the Guix repository, like wpa-supplicant-gui. Which has a
phase modification:

    (add-after 'unpack 'chdir
      (lambda _ (chdir "wpa_supplicant/wpa_gui-qt4")))

You'll need to change the directory to match where in the fwdpy11 source
you need to go to build the rust stuff.

I hope that helps,

Carlo