Re: Proper use of `guix build X --rounds=2`

From: Carlo Zancanaro
Subject: Re: Proper use of `guix build X --rounds=2`
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2024 10:23:50 +1100

Hi Skyler,

On Sun, Feb 18 2024, Skyler Ferris wrote:
> Am I using the `--rounds` flag wrong, do I misunderstand this tool, or
> is this actually a bug?

I'm not sure if this is considered a bug or not, but the solution to
your problem is to use --check. Using your test file running:

  guix build -f test.scm --check

should run the build one time, and compare the output with what is in
the store. Then:

  guix build -f test.scm --check --rounds=2

should run the build twice, and check against the output that is already
in the store.

It's a bit confusing, but --rounds only applies if there is actually a
build to do, whereas --check forces a build and compares against the
store.

Carlo