USB Ethernet dongle stops working after reconnect

From: Ivan Popovych
Subject: USB Ethernet dongle stops working after reconnect
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2024 18:08:40 +0200

Hi, I have an unused laptop that I want to try experimenting with
Guix on. Since builtin network controller uses nonfree firmware to connect
to it to network I got some USB Ethernet dongle which uses RTL8153 chip
and it works when I boot system but if I try to reconnect it or let it
idle for a bit then it stops working with dmesg printing that nonfree
firmware loading is disabled.

Since it does work on boot is there some way I can make it always work
even when reconnecting it?  Maybe it uses some other driver on start &
reconnecting breaks it as it tries to load nonfree one?

lsusb -t outputs that the driver this dongle uses is r8152, which I
assume is nonfree as it is the same one that is being reported as
disabled in dmesg.