Bitwarden build with "npm-build-system" : Fails to install dependencies

From: Pablo Zamora
Subject: Bitwarden build with "npm-build-system" : Fails to install dependencies : "npm ERR! code ENOTCACHED"
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2024 11:38:05 +0000

Dear Guix,

First of all, thank you for developing this AMAZING OS !

I am facing an issue while trying to build 'bitwarden' from source with this
package definition : https://paste.debian.net/1311741/

Currently in development within my personal channel :
https://github.com/Pablo12345678901/guix-custom-channel/blob/master/dev/my-bitwarden.scm

There are the guix build logs : https://paste.debian.net/1311743

There are the npm logs : https://paste.debian.net/1311742/

The build fails during the 'configure phase with the error :

npm ERR! code ENOTCACHED
npm ERR! request to https://registry.npmjs.org/@angular-devkit%2fbuild-angular
failed: cache mode is 'only-if-cached' but no cached response is available.

It seems that npm tries to download package dependencies but has no network
during the build and fails. I printed dummy network connnexion (or no
connexion) messages before and after the 'unpack' phases as well as before the
'configure' phase to debug and the result is that no network is available at
those steps. I tried it with 'curl' and it says no network at all during the
build. So far, I understood that this is normal but I would like to download
the dependencies - HOW ?

I checked the 'gnu/packages/node-xyz.scm' to see whether other packages have a
workaround and could not find a general pattern. It seems that every node
package add 0,1 or 2 specific dependencies in the 'inputs' field but nothing
huge compared to the bitwarden dependencies list. Here is the 'package.json'
file pretty printed : https://paste.debian.net/1311744

So far, I have built packages with 'cmake-build-system', 'meson-build-system',
'python-build-system' as well as 'gnu-build-system' on my own channel :
https://github.com/Pablo12345678901/guix-custom-channel/tree/master/my-packages/my-packages
 (production) and
https://github.com/Pablo12345678901/guix-custom-channel/tree/master/training
(training for fun). I do not know well the package manager 'npm' and how it
manages its dependencies.

After around ~20 hours of trying by myself, I would appreciate any help/advice
on how to install the dependencies and by the meantime, will continue to work
on the debug.

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Pablo Zamora