Re: Statistics for coverage of different software repos?

From: Simon Tournier
Subject: Re: Statistics for coverage of different software repos?
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2024 16:51:23 +0100

Hi,

On ven., 22 mars 2024 at 15:48, Samuel Schmidt <samuel@schmidt-contact.com>
wrote:

> Are there are any statistics or similar information about the amount of
> packages covered in Guix compared with (specialized) software repos?
> As an end result I am imagine something like:
> "80% of the 300 packages in melpa are also packaged in the guix-main channel"
> "2% of the packages in CRAN are also available in the guix-main channel"
> "100% of the packages in CRAN are also available in the Guix-cran channel"

Nothing I am aware.  However, we could have a script (guix repl) that
extracts information from package definition.  For instance,

$ guix repl stats-melpa.scm

Emacs: 4.72% (1413 / 29908)
MELPA: .02% (6 + 0 / 29908)
MELPA/Emacs: .42% (6 + 0 / 1413)

with the script attached (modulo the bug of such script ;-))

Now, if MELPA serves a way to know the number of packages they provide,
then it becomes straightforward to know.  However, I do not know if
there is a central index.

Cheers,
simon