Re: Inconsistency between resolved issues/patches and source files.

From: Felix Lechner
Subject: Re: Inconsistency between resolved issues/patches and source files.
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2024 05:52:55 -0700

Hi William,

On Tue, Apr 09 2024, William wrote:

> Could someone explain exactly what the "core-updates" branch is?

The mission of that branch is changing but it's not going away.
Originally, it pooled all edits that resulted in large numbers of
rebuilds on the substitute servers.

After team branches were allowed on Savannah, the branch now pools
updates to "core" packages. [1][2]

Personally, I think we should get rid of the branch. [3]

> Can perhaps "core-updates" be added as an extra channel on Guix
> manually?

You may be able to do that via your home or your system channels
configuration, but I haven't tried.  Instead, I maintain my own branch
which carries the modifications my systems require. [4]

I expect that situation to persist indefinitely.

> And how long usually it takes for these patches to make its way from
> "core-updates" to master?

On average about a year, or a year and a half.  That unusually long
period has been identified as an example where the project's performance
as a group falls short of our collective expectations.

Unfortunately, the fear of causing rebuilds on the substitute servers is
too dominant in our minds.  The group cannot muster the courage to
ignore it in the name of progress.

As nckx pointed out, "no one likes our Gentoo emulation mode."

Kind regards
Felix

[1] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2023-12/msg00059.html
[2] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2024-01/msg00096.html