Re: file transfer

From: gfp
Subject: Re: file transfer
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2024 09:10:24 +0000

Hi,

thanks for help

What makes the difference if I install icedove and firefox as user packages
or install them in a profile?

What do you mean by a profile? If you mean as whole system configuration file, everything is kept in sync, being sure versions are matching each others.

I apologise for not having explained enough.

Somebody, I forgot who, wrote this, and I did the same:

By default, each user on Guix System has one user profile. All packages that they install are placed into it. This is easy to manage.

Some people (like myself) choose to create additional profiles.
Many people do this in order to separate out a group of packages that they don't want installed (or upgraded) all the time. I do it because occasionally one of my packages breaks when I am upgrading my system. By splitting all of my packages up into a few different profiles by category, if one package fails to upgrade, then that profile doesn't upgrade, but all of my other profiles do. This allows me to install the newest software for everything outside of the broken profile. Then I focus on fixing the broken package and just upgrade the broken profile. Easy peasy.

Gottfried