Re: Porting the Hurd to L4 (glibc dependencies, dropping glibc?)

From: Nic Ferrier
Subject: Re: Porting the Hurd to L4 (glibc dependencies, dropping glibc?)
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2000 19:07:34 +0000

>>> Farid Hajji <farid.hajji@ob.kamp.net> 29-Oct-00 5:34:40 PM >>>

>P.S.: I don't have anything against glibc. Dropping glibc
>dependency from the Hurd is purely an architectural issue
>that would help support the notion of "host OS running sub-hurd"
>as well as to help isolate the current Mach dependencies of the
>Hurd.

I'm just a potential user of the HURD but here's my two penneth on
this:

Anything that can be done to make the HURD available on more
processor architectures would be a good thing. But my impression is
that the work the needs to be done is to port the HURD to OSKit Mach
and to port OSKit Mach to other architectures.

Since the HURD is a GNU OS I would suggest that glibc is going to be
an integral part of the system for anyone wanting to run it.

Nic Ferrier