Re: Porting the Hurd to L4 (glibc dependencies, dropping glibc?)

From: Radovan Garabik
Subject: Re: Porting the Hurd to L4 (glibc dependencies, dropping glibc?)
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 08:16:02 +0100

On Sun, Oct 29, 2000 at 03:49:01PM -0500, Roland McGrath wrote:
> > Is it _absolutely_ necessary to use glibc with the Hurd?
>
> Why on earth would one want not to?  The Hurd developers have no interest
> whatsoever in using anything but the GNU C library for the GNU system.

think about embedded systems and similar:
there are projects for linux like dietlibc, asmutils etc...
and you can build a kernel+few useful utils+the think why
you started doing this and put it all on the floppy or EPROM,
without the need of all the glibc features and glibc themselves

(I have nothing against glibc too :-))