Re: some trouble

From: Michael Oberg
Subject: Re: some trouble
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2000 16:03:10 -0700 (MST)

>From the following description of the "magic" hurd server:
(http://www.debian.org/ports/hurd/hurd-doc-server#magic)

"He [Thomas Bushnell] also kindly explained a particular behavior that
usually puzzles normal end users when they first encounter it:
The inability to "ls /dev/fd" is because the translator doesn't know
what file descriptors you have open, so it can't tell you which ones exist.
But the behavior of it is exactly as on other systems."

(/dev/fd has something to do with filedescriptors, I thought at first it
was the floppy device :)

use 'find . -path '/dev' -prune' to keep find from trying to read /dev/fd
or any other problematic file (or should I say translator).

Michael Oberg
oberg@adhocinc.com