Re: Interested in Formal Methods

From: a hafiz
Subject: Re: Interested in Formal Methods
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2000 18:14:13 -0800 (PST)

Atle wrote:
>> difficult at first but once you get it, it's not too bad and i started
>> to like it! i thought Z was fun! (maybe something wrong with me...)
>This is what hapens! The most commercially used, and most standardized
>formal method is VDM-SL, which is also closer to 'normal' mathematics :-).
>And you are right about the fun, there is NOTHING like seing
>your system specified mathematically by YOU! That
>gives a satisfaction much greater than implementing and testing (or course
>it works, it has to!)

DITTO!, a good zed spec does give more satisfaction than a good c program
some how, maybe because it's so much harder to specify a program in Zed

>> Jason More, had a valid point about the whole thing. Formal Method can be
>> very hard, and the amount of effort expended to apply it to HURD may not
>> be worth the small gain. it might still be interesting and fun though!
>I said I was not going to respond to this, so I can't respond, only as that

>people check this for themselves.
>If you have an opinion on this, make sure you have read enough about it to
>be sure that you are right.
umm, good point.

>> as far as concurrency in Zed, although Zed does not support concurency
>> directly, you could still write a Zed spec to specify concurrency
>>problems. You could also combine Zed and CSP in the same specification
>>document. so i don't think it's a big issue. there might even be a
>>conccurent Zed developed by now.
>Also in VDM-SL, I think. If you know Z, you will have no problems with
>VDM-SL.

damn, i don't want to learn another formal lang. but if VDM-SL is closer
to maths, than it might be better than Z. On the other hand i kind of like
Z and it's basis in set theory. Set theory seems more intuitive and it
basically applies everywhere.

>Since BNF came into use, how much compiler syntax is specified in Ebglish,
>or with boxes and labels?

umm what's BNF again? and i'm not sure what you're talking about here,
but you don't have to explain.

hafiz.