Re: Install Experiences

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: Re: Install Experiences
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 01:14:33 +0100

On Thu, Dec 28, 2000 at 05:34:46PM -0600, Jonathan Bartlett wrote:
> 2) I tried the cross-install script using the packages from the CD, no
> luck there

cross-install needs an update, I will be working on it (promised it for some
time, now I will have the time).

> 3) I used the tarball filesystem, rebooted into single-user mode.  That
> worked pretty well.  Trying to keep the GRUB/HURD names straight is always
> a problem.  Especially since I was on a SCSI drive, and GRUB wanted hd and
> HURD wanted sd.  Anyway, it booted.  I ran native-install, which appeared
> to go well.  Rebooted.

No, it didn't run well, because you neither had an fstab nor all these
dpkg-new files renamed. So, this is where it broke, and you tried to recover
manually from here.

> 5) Currently only having real problems with my SCSI cdrom (cd0).  The hurd
> ISOFS translator hangs whenever I try to use it.  Very bizaare.

It might very well be a kernel driver problem.

> What exactly does
> serverboot.gz do?
It starts up the critical hurd servers. The line with "ext2fs exec auth
init" is printed while serverboot runs and starts the servers.

> How does HURD go about initializing the
> system?

The answer depends on the question. There is /libexec/rc for boot scripting,
there is serverboot for bootstrap. Every translator initializes itself also.

> Where does it store information about translators?

Passive translators are stored in file system blocks, linked to by the inode
(like symlinks). Active translators are in the process table, and every
translator has a list of its child translators (so you can recursive at
shutdown).

> Anyway, it
> seems to be running well.  The network card worked wonderfully
> (3c59x).  The only thing about it is that, because I hadn't used it yet,
> the translator hadn't started, and thus pinging it did nothing.  Maybe the
> startup scripts could do a ping to start up the network
> interfaces?

No, the idea is that it starts up itself when used the first time. Maybe you
weren't patient enough with ping for pfinet to come up.

> Sysadmins like to be able to ping their machines
> ASAP.

Oh, come on, a couple of seconds :)

> Anyway, once I figure things out a little more and get a more
> functional setup, I might be able to contribute some stuff.

You are welcome. This is the Hurd (ergh, I reversed it :)

Thanks,
Marcus

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de